bout the Jackie Robinson Painting
For those of you who follow John Robertson sports art either on Facebook, Instagram or all the other places work is posted you know that I have painted Jackie Robinson of the famed Brooklyn Dodgers a few times. This time I did something a little bit unique. The painting is 12" x 16" ink and acrylic
Obviously Jackie Robinson was and is an inspiration to a lot of people. Here is one of my favorite quotes from him. "Life is not a spectator sport. If you're going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life." Particularly in this day and age of the technology we tend to be watching small screens and not participating in life. We are watching others and following what others may be doing and living vicariously through them.
Top ten things Jackie Robinson may have said about baseball
(maybe he didn’t say all of these but he probably thought them. )
1. Anyone can win a game unless there is another team playing.
2. The biggest sin in baseball is being thrown out at home plate.
3. Make good plays - good enough to make the opposing team manager kick the water cooler.
4. I like a sport where stealing is not illegal
5. There is no sweeter word for a runner than "Safe"
5. The first thing a team physician checks on an injured catcher is for footprints.
7. It is better to steal than never.
8. Always run bases counter-clockwise.
9. Chewing bubble gum – don’t blow bubbles while wearing a catcher’s mask.
10. Chewing tobacco – spit, don’t swallow